Chief Medical Director,
ObafemiAwolowo University Teaching Hospital (OAUTH),
P.M.B. 5538, Ile-Ife,
Osun State, Nigeria,
Director of Administration,
Head of Nursing Services, OAUTH,
IMPLEMENTATION OF INTERNSHIP AND PROPER PLACEMENT OF GRADUATE NURSES IN OAUTH
Complements of the season and Nightingales’ greetings from members of the University Graduates of Nursing Science Association (UGONSA), the professional association of nurses with a minimum qualification of first degree in nursing.
2. We write to request that you implement the graduate nurses internship in your hospital and as well effect the proper placement of those that are already in the service as prescribed by the circular, REF No. HCSF/EIR/CND/S.100/ST/97 dated 8th September, 2016 from the office of the head of civil service of the federation (please refer Annexure A).
3. The referred circular has made a one-year internship training a compulsory part of nursing education for the Bachelor of Nursing Science (B.N.Sc) degree as is obtainable with the university education of other healthcare disciplines with the implication that baccalaureate education of nurses is now incomplete and void without the internship training.
4. The opportunity of blending theory with clinical practice offered by the internship training is not only most beneficial to fresh graduate nurses but also to patients, especially as nurses form the first line of client care, have the highest visibility and number of hours spent with patients and maintain a ‘round-the-clock’ interaction with patients in the hospital.
5. Since the lives of people have been entrusted unto nurses’ care, it is imperative that they are adequately trained and motivated to perform this special responsibility effectively and efficiently hence our request for implementation of the internship training and proper placement of graduate nurses by your hospital.
6. For ease of implementation of our request we hereby avail you the Federal Ministry of Health’s guideline for implementation of internship and proper placement of graduate nurses (please refer Annexure B) and other relevant documents for your due guidance.
We passionately request that you
1. help fresh graduate nurses trained in Obafemi Awolowo University and other universities across the country complete their nursing education, vis-à-vis internship training, by offering them opportunity to run internship training in your hospital as is done for graduates of other healthcare disciplines.
2. upgrade existing nursing officers, who were on CONHESS 07 (.i.e Grade Level 08) before the release of the circular, to the new base of CONHESS 08 (Grade Level 09) effective from 8th September, 2016 (being the date of release of the circular REF No. HCSF/EIR/CND/S.100/ST/97 by the office of the head of civil service of the federation) as prescribed by the civil service circular, Ref No. B63279/S.7/II/T/273 dated 24th April, 2002 (please refer Annexure C).
3. Commence the employment of fresh graduate nurses on CONHESS 08 and upgrade the existing nursing officers who were wrongly employed on CONHESS 07 instead of CONHESS 08 even after 8th September, 2016 (the date the circular was released) to CONHESS 08 effective from the date of their employment.
Kindly accept the assurances of our esteemed regards.
CHIEF (HON.) S.E.O. EGWUENU NURSE G.I. NSHI
National President National Secretary
You must log in to post a comment.