Professor Adelani Tijani the Head of Nursing Department, Bayero University Kano who has brought tremendous progress to the institution has finally bowed out. In a message circulating around on social media and authored by him, he highlighted some of his achievements during his tenure as the number one nurse in the institution.
Below is the message announcing his exit from the office :
This is to inform all that my tenure as Head of Nursing Sciences Department of Bayero University, Kano has ended as I have handed over to one of my colleagues in the department.
Kindly note that as an Associate Professor of Public Health Nursing frm LAUTECH Ogbomoso, I went on sabbatical appointmnt to BUK on 12 January, 2015. I assumed duty same day as the Head of Dept of Nursing Sc. Upon expiration of the sabbatical leave, BUK offered me the position of full professor after due process was followed by assessing my publications in April, 2016 (backdated to 12 Jan, 2015 though). Hence, I continued as HOD in the dept. My four year headship finally ended on 26th as Umar Yunusa takes over from me @ exactly 10am on 27th August, 2018.
Therefore I assumed the role of nursing elder and professional father to all staff of the same department wt immediate effect.
I give glory to God for the following modest transformation the department underwent under my headship:
1. We conducted and succeeded in all accreditations exercises of NUC, NMCN, WAHEB and therefore the dept was born for the whole world to notice
2. We graduated the first four sets of BNSc products that wasn’t possible due to lack of accreditation before Jan 2015 I assumed duty
3. We graduated the fifth set, and our 6th set about to graduate in few weeks time
4. We developed four postgraduate nursing prog – PGDNS, PGDNE, MSc and PhD and we pursued these vigorously to get the University Senate approval . Then we took the first set of PG students in 2017/2018. The second set is abt to be admitted soon.
5. We ensure our students presented for NMCN RN and RM examinations perform excellently as we have been scoring 95 % to 100% success in RN and RM exams; hence, we have received NMCN commendation letters for scoring 100% twice.
7. We are among the few nursing depts the NMCN saddled wt the responsibility of conducting adaptation course for foreign trained nurses for their registration and licensure.
7. We keep trying to put our department on sound footing and we’ve been maintaining cordial relationship with all institutions offering nursing in this country and beyond.
NMCN, NUC, WAHEB, NOUN, the general public and members of this forum to take note of change in nursing headship in BUK for official interactions.
Prof. Adelani Tijani
RN, PhD, FWACN