Hi, welcome to this comprehensive guide on how to become a Registered Nurse in UK.
In this article I am going to make the process as easy and straightforward as possible.
To become a registered nurse in UK, there are series of steps you must take. The first step begins with you getting a copy of your international passport, if yours has expired try to renew it as this will be needed before you can sit for IELTS/OET.
NMC Registration Requirements 2020
Also below are the requirements:
- You must have completed Nursing education in your country
- Registered as a Nurse in your country (This is no longer a requirement as those who are not registered with the Nursing Board in their countries will need to supply additional evidence. For instance, if you are a from Ghana or Nigeria and went to India or Philippines to study Nursing and you were not allowed to register in India or Philippines, you can still register as a Nurse in UK without going to Ghana or Nigeria to register with the Nursing Boards in those countries)
- English language requirement: You need to sit for standard IELTS Academic version and have a minimum score of Listening-7 Speaking 7 Reading 7 and Writing 6.5 or its OET Equivalence. However, if you didn’t make the IELTS/OET in a single sitting, you can combine your result. For more information check IELTS Clubbing for UK NMC Nurse Registration or OET Clubbing For UK: NMC OET Clubbing Requirement for Nurses
To get started, go to https://online.nmc-uk.org/overseas/assessment/start?route=1 and create an account. You will be required to upload your Nursing Certificate, Nursing registration Certificate and your International passport with marriage certificate if applicable. Then you will be required to make the application fees payment of £140. You can pay this online using your regular ATM card. If you are having difficulty paying this as a result of restriction in your country, look for friends and families in any other country to help you make the payment online.
After making the payment, you should receive an email from NMC confirming your payment. You should then proceed to the Nursing and Midwifery Council of your country to have your verification sent to the UK NMC.
For those in Nigeria, you will need to pay the verification fees of #17500 through Remita. Go to https://login.remita.net/remita/onepage/OAGFCRF/biller.spa to generate the invoice and make payment.
After making payment take following to Nursing and Midwifery Council of Nigeria:
- Payment receipt
- Copy of birth certificate
- Copy of license (front and back)
- Copy of your Nursing and Midwifery Council of Nigeria registration certificate
- Copy of other registration certificates you have with Nursing and Midwifery Council of Nigeria
- A letter requesting NMCN to do your verification and Good Standing Certificate to UK NMC
Submit all this at NMCN office in Abuja or Lagos and wait for your verification to be sent to UK NMC. You can follow it up if you know people that can be of help.
After your verification is sent to UK NMC, Pearson Vue will send you an email containing your Authorizations to Test called ATT and another one containing your Username and temporary password. Then change your temporary password by clicking here https://accountrecovery.pearsonvue.com/passwordreset/usernamelookup/NMC?locale=en_GB
After changing your password, you can then schedule your exam by logging in and picking your desired exam centre and date. You will be able to make payment online with your card and if you have finding it difficult to make the payment, go to http://www.mindhub.co.uk/category_s/139.htm an purchase the NMC voucher which is £83 and use the voucher to make payment. Vouchers purchased on Mindhub are usually sent 3 to 6 hours after payment.
After passing your CBT the next step is paying £153. Before you can make this payment, you will need to upload police certificate from all the countries you have lived more than six months since you turned eighteen years. You will equally need to provide the name and email of a medical doctor who will certify that you are in good health. You will need to provide your IELTS/OET results at this stage
Immediately after payment, an email will be sent to your doctor to confirm your health Status while another would be sent to your Nursing Board to upload your Good Standing Certificate.
When should you start searching for jobs? You should start searching for job immediately you pass your IELTS/OET and your CBT. There are varieties of places you can work in UK, you can work in Care Home, Publicly funded NHS, Private NHS, Special Clinics,etc.
You can apply to work directly with the Hospitals or Care Homes or apply through agencies. Some of the agencies recruiting for UK hospitals and Care Homes include Nurses2Britain, HCL Permanent, IANS, IMHR, Medacs, Insignia Global, MMA to name a few. You can get their website and contact details through a quick Google Search. Note that these agencies won’t collect any money from you as they are paid handsomely by your employer. If any agency ask you to pay, they are trying to cheat you just dump them and go to another agency.
If you can’t get any agency to sign you up go to any of the following site, register and start applying for jobs free of charge:
- Trac Jobs https://apps.trac.jobs/
- NHS Job Portal https://www.jobs.nhs.uk/
- Care Home Jobs https://www.carehome.co.uk/
- Elysium Job Vacancies https://www.elysiumhealthcare.co.uk/careers/vacancies/vacancy-search-results.aspx
- Indeed https://www.indeed.co.uk/
- Monster https://www.monster.co.uk/
After getting a job offer, your employer will ask you to send some pre-employment checklist and after that your Certificate of Sponsorship will be issued. You can then proceed to apply for visa after this.