*RELOCATING WITH YOUR HUSBAND TO THE UK* .
*By Emeka Nwosu*
If you are a nurse in this group,you need to know the following:
1. It is best if you travel together with your husband,the process is easier,you only need to present your marriage certificate and any other supporting document like few wedding pictures to prove your marriage status.
2. You will pay for visa application about 800 dollars and National health insurance surcharge for your husband,this will cost about 600 pounds for 3 years,an increase is proposed for NHS surcharge but it is yet to be implimented.
3. You can use your Certificate of sponsorship to apply for yourself and your husband if you do not have children yet or you are not travelling with your children,all you need extra is to have some money to lodge your husband in a hotel and then get a place after you must have arrived the UK,a house to be shared with others will be most preferable as you try to adapt and know exactly what will suite the family.
4. If you want to come with your children,you need to keep 630 pounds for each of your children,this money should be in your bank account or that of your husband for a period of 3 months,this is an evidence that you have money to support your family until your husband stabilizes,so make arrangement for this money to be kept in your account once you pass your CBT,even before you get an agency to process your relocation to make it smooth,you will also pay visa application fee,health insurance surcharge for each of your children,i usually advice people to come with their spouse and maybe a child,depending on how much you have,it is also adviceable to borrow this money and keep in the bank,borrow and pay when you come over,it will be more than worth it i can gurantee you that.
5. Immediately your husband arrives, and collects his residence permit,you can help him to call National insurance office that same day to book an appointment for National insurance number interview,he can only work when he has gotten this number and it takes 2 to 3 weeks,yours is provided even before you arrive by your employers so you dont have to apply.
6.You need to inform your huband that their are plenty of job for him to choose from but it will come with time, he can start with a support work job which is easily available even without experience,support work deals with observing children,youth and young adults in various settings to ensure that theu are safe,supported with daily living,you will be well paid enough to pick your bills while you plan for your dream job.
7. Fire men,Prison Officers with other military jobs are currently available,they are well paid jobs,Africans with resident permits are qualified and can key in to this opportunities.
8. If your husband or spouse is an Engineer,skilled worker of any field including accountant,Geologist,information technology and any other field that may not be included in their high demand list,i want to assure you that many people are getting jobs in these areas based on their level of experience,he can move with you,attend job interviews within his field,chances of securing a job is over 70 percent,you may not get the best innitially but what you will get will be worth the risk of relocation.
9. Please ensure that you get an international drivers licence while coming,it will cost you between 25 to 30 thousand in naira,you will be glad you did, their driving test that can give you a licence to drive in the UK is quit challenging so you need a licence that can help you drive and gain on hand experience before picking up their exam and licence,you will thank me latter.
10.Start small,small apartment,small job,small income,small location and grow from there,you cannot get it all at once if you want to be happy,take a gradual step,dont compete with anyone,avoid London as much as you can with its surrounding cities,they are ridiculously expensive.
11. Learn how to do little house repairs,how to change your ligh