The Ghana College of Nurses and Midwives (GCNM) is arguably the leading institution dedicated to produce the most competent nurses in Ghana and the rest of the world. T
hey admit students based on their performances in their West Africa Examinations or equivalent qualifications in other countries.
ghana college of nurses and midwives courses ghana college of nurses and midwives admissions important things about ghana college of nurses and midwives admission forms ghana college of nurses and midwives
We have compiled all the details you need to know about this college. Read on to the article.
About Ghana College of Nurses and Midwives
The institution was established in 1944 by the name British Nursing Society. This was after majority of women who completed their secondary education preferring the midwifery school which had been set in the region during the year 1928. However, Ghana College of Nursing and Midwifery is accredited by the National Accreditation board and all of their activities (curricula and co-curricula); including examinations are regulated by the Nurses and Midwifery Council of Ghana. Courses offered at Ghana College of Nurses and Midwives ghana college of nurses and midwives courses ghana college of nurses and midwives admissions important things about ghana college of nurses and midwives admission forms ghana college of nurses and midwives Ghana College of Nursing and Midwifery specializes in three years undergraduates programs where after completion; students graduates with a Diploma in nursing.
Below is the Ghana College of Nurses and Midwives courses;
1. Accidents and Emergency Nursing Nurses trained to handle emergency cases
2. Hematology Nursing Nurses trained to take care of blood diseases and disorders e.g. anemia
3. Neuroscience Nursing Trained to provide care of patients suffering from brain and other nervous system disorders
4. Oncology Nursing Trained to take care of cancer patients and those at risk of acquiring it
5. Palliative Nursing Trained to provide care for patients with advancing disease or lifetime illness
6. Pediatrics Nursing Specialized in children health care
7. Women Health Nursing Nurses specializing in women health care across their lifespan However, the institution is planning to roll-out some of the existing Ministry of Health programs. For instance;
7. Ophthalmic Nursing Nurses trained to cater for patients with eye disorders
8. Peri-operative Nursing Trained to cater for patients undergoing through surgery or other intervention issues
9. Critical care nursing/ICU Nursing Trained to care for patients with critical health conditions
10. Public health Nursing The nurses are trained to collaborate with the community, identify health issues and help in improving the community health The Ghana college of Nursing and Midwifery are in the process of including the below programs in their system (under medium term or long term basis).
1. Cardiothoracic Nursing Trained to take care of adult patients with cardiac and thoracic surgical conditions
2. Diagnostics in medical and surgical care They take care of general medical and surgical patients.
3. Diagnostics in Obstetrics and Gynecology These are nurses specializing on issues associated with pregnant women.
4. Dermatology Nursing Nurses specializing in the care and treatment of skin diseases and conditions
5. Endocrinology Nursing Trained to provide care to patients with endocrine disorders for instance diabetes.
The above specialty programs are highly practical with around 30% class work. Learners have their close support from their accredited clinical and academic mentors.
Therefore, the training offered is clinical, community based or theoretical depending on their courses of specialization. Besides undertaking the specialist courses, students are also subjected to tackle other compulsory courses which are intended to develop or advance their professionalism, leadership skills, managerial tactics, entrepreneurial capabilities, researching and teaching skills.
However, more courses are expected to evolve in the institution if demanded, depending on partnership agreements and the resource availability. On the same note, Ghana college of Nurses and Midwives has been encouraging students to undertake other related courses after graduation, that may lead them to careers such as; nursing anesthesiology, ENT Nursing, community oral nursing among others to make them more relevant. Requirements to join Ghana College of Nurses and Midwives
Below are the entry requirements to join the college;
1. A minimum of BSC/BA in nursing or midwifery and must be registered with the Nursing and Midwifery Council of Ghana
2. Having MA/MSc /M Phil/PhD in Nursing, midwifery or any related course is an added advantage
3. A minimum of three years experience in the field after the required qualification
4. A person whose name is not associated in any misconduct /malpractice
How to apply to join Ghana College of nursing and Midwives ghana college of nurses and midwives courses ghana college of nurses and midwives admissions important things about ghana college of nurses and midwives admission forms ghana college of nurses and midwives Ghana College of nursing and mid wives accepts only online applications. Upon enrolling you can get admission forms Ghana College of Nurses and Midwives using below steps;
1. Deposit an application fee to any HFC bank branch using an account name Ghana College of Nurses and Midwives which is GHC 175 for Ghanaian applicant and $120 for a foreign applicant.
2. Send the scanned deposits slip to email@example.com
3. You will then receive an access code or pin from the institution
4. Use the code to access the website and complete the application form
5. Attach the academic certificates and the statement of intent as required.
After following the admission process, the student is required to pay the Ghana College of Nurses and Midwives fees, to pursue their chosen programs. A candidate who fulfills the qualifications is scheduled to sit for a written examination to proof their eligibility.
The examinations are however organized on June and December each year.
The examination fee is not constant therefore concerned students are required to consult the college administration on the issue. All qualified foreign nurses, assistant nurses and midwives are required to pass a licensing examination under the Ghana policy and meet other requirements to be registered.
The council charge for the examination is $125. Ghana College of Nurses and Midwives contacts For any consultations, reach Ghana College of Nurses and Midwives via; Physical address: 214 Westland’s, Residential area, west, Legon-Accra Telephone: 233(0)303-932-453/ 233(0)505-351-761 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Ghana College of Nurses and Midwives is an organized school that any person may consider joining. However, the institution should consider offering courses in diverse languages to attract nursing and midwifery students’ world widely. Source: Yen.com.gh